NLEX begins expansion of 3 major toll plazas
Date Posted : February 14, 2017
In line with its commitment to provide motorists using the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) with a travel experience that keeps getting better, the Manila North Tollways Corporation (MNTC), builder and concessionaire of the expressway, is currently undertaking a massive P354-million construction program to build additional toll lanes in three major toll plazas.
Covered by the program, which began last month and is expected to be completed in May 2017, are the Balintawak, Mindanao, and Meycauayan Toll Plazas.
In October last year, MNTC finished the expansion of the Bocaue Toll Barrier, increasing the number of toll lanes from 26 to 34. Since their completion, the additional eight lanes, composed of four manual lanes, two Easytrip lanes and two mixed lanes, have allowed motorists to continue to experience speedy toll transactions even during peak hours and holidays when traffic volume on the expressway rises sharply.
“Improving the capacity of our toll plazas would mean more comfortable travel experience for our motorists,” Rodrigo E. Franco, MNTC president and CEO, said, adding that “the new toll lanes will bring relief by reducing waiting time at the toll plazas.”
At the Balintawak Toll Plaza, MNTC is constructing eight more toll lanes to increase the total from the current 17 to 25 toll lanes. A new toll plaza in a fishbone configuration is being constructed to serve the growing number of motorists travelling between Metro Manila and the provinces in Central and Northern Luzon.
Meanwhile, a three-lane toll plaza, also featuring a fishbone design, is being built at the NLEX Mindanao Avenue. Since it opened in 2010, the Mindanao Toll Plaza, currently with only six lanes, has been providing motorists from Quezon City with a convenient alternative entry to the expressway.
MNTC is also expanding the southbound toll plaza in Meycauayan, Bulacan from four lanes to five. The company will move the current toll plaza a few meters ahead of its existing location to make room for the additional toll lane. To better serve motorists at this key toll plaza, the Meycauayan Interchange is undergoing other enhancements that include the signalization of the Meycauayan east roundabout and the construction of two additional exit ramps in Bgy. Pandayan and Bgy. Libtong.
To allow the construction to proceed unhampered, MNTC temporarily closed the leftmost lane of the southbound portion of the Balintawak Toll Plaza. “Motorists heading towards the Balintawak and Mindanao toll plazas as well as the Meycauayan southbound toll plaza are, thus, advised to keep right as the leftmost lanes of all three toll plazas will likewise be closed,” Franco said.
To assure that motorists passing through these three toll plazas will continue to experience safe and convenient travel even while construction is going on, a traffic management plan has been put in place around the work areas. As part of this plan, MNTC, in cooperation with the Tollways Management Corporation (TMC) and local traffic authorities, has deployed traffic personnel in the areas to keep traffic moving smoothly.
In addition, portable toll collection booths equipped with portable toll collection gadgets have been set up to augment the toll collection points in the three toll plazas to ensure continued speedy toll transactions.
“Providing motorists using NLEX with excellent service has always been a top priority for MNTC,” Franco noted. “Rest assured that more improvements are on the way that will make travel along the expressway an even more delightful experience.”